Don’t answer feelings with facts: frameworks for responding with empathy
Empathy is important. The research points to this, and we’re told to be more empathetic.
How do we actually do that?
Dr Laura Rock joins the podcast to have a conversation about empathy in real clinical practice.
We talk through
- The power of stories for teaching
- The importance of listening to patient stories
- Why we should pay attention to the “small” stuff
- Reflective writing
- Training to look at problems from more than one perspective
- Why we shouldn’t be afraid of people crying
- The reasons emotions are scary for health professionals
- The problem with suppressing emotions
- Understanding how we add emotional load to patients
- The GIVE framework for empathy
- The Ask – tell -ask framework for an empathetic response
- Expert parenting strategies
- How we can perform better as healthcare teams
- How we can communicate better as healthcare teams